BOND HOUSE OPENS JUNE 25 WITH 2017 EXHIBIT
The History Center’s c. 1823 Col. William Bond-Jesse Hawley House will open Sunday, June 25, with the 2017 bed coverlet exhibit “We Have You Covered.”
The exhibit, open from 1-4 p.m., will present many examples of coverlets from the History Center’s collection, dating from approximately the 1840s-1930s. Bed coverlets were a staple of everyday use in most homes and were especially popular before the Civil War. Early coverlets had simple patterns, and as more elaborate looms developed, more intricate designs were created. Some of the coverlets on exhibit even have the owner’s name, year made, and the location of the loom woven right into the design.
The coverlets were all made by Niagara County residents. The exhibit will offer details on each coverlet, including the traditional symbolism expressed in the handiwork. Techniques and patterns used can also “speak” to us from the past, and give us clues to the maker and recipient of the work.
Our National Register historic house/museum at 143 Ontario St. is Lockport’s oldest brick home and includes 12 fully furnished rooms. The coverlet exhibit will be shown throughout the house.
Docents will be on hand to guide visitors and offer information on the house and exhibit. Donations are accepted.
The Bond-Hawley House will be open until December on days and hours to be announced. For more information or to volunteer as a docent, please call the History Center at 434-7433.