215 Niagara Street ~ Lockport, NY
Red brick Italianate-style home built in 1863 and donated to NCHS in 1953, this building has four permanent and two changing exhibit rooms. The first floor contains a furnished late Victorian Parlor (c. 1870s). This parlor highlights how people of the Victorian era spent their leisure time and what activities they engaged in. Musical instruments are throughout the room as are samples of Victorian whimsical crafts (hair pictures; dried and wax floral arrangements) and other forms of amusement. The Victorian era in the United States is interpreted in this room.
Also on the first floor is a Historic Pantry. This room has kitchen implements that were common in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. On the second floor is the Civil War Room. This room contains photographs and artifacts from the Civil War, particularly from those men who served from Niagara County. It also contains an exhibit on Ely S. Parker, a Seneca from western New York who served as General Grant’s military secretary. Across the hall is the Old Toy Room. This room is filled with late 19th and early 20th century toys. Children can examine how toys have evolved over time and how these toys were very gender specific to prepare the children for their roles later in life. Changing Exhibits areas are on the first floor and rotate on a monthly basis.