1830 Map of the Village of Lockport
Printed from the original plate made from work by Surveyor Jesse P. Haines, in 1830. More about Jesse P. Haines.
1960′s Downtown Lockport Slide Show DVD
History fans can now watch these 1960s slides in the comfort of their easy chair and stop the show to take a closer look at photos from the past.
White Bird Productions
A War Diary from Aboard the Uss Swearer (DE-186): Memoirs of a Gunner, 1943-194
by Barbara G. Haney-Jones. Based on the Diary of WWII gunner, Anthony Terrameo, Sr.
Andersonville and the Trail of Henry Wirz by John Howard Stibbs
The written account of the only Confederate officer to be tried and hanged for war crimes following the Civil War. Written by the last living member of the tribunal panel. Copy of original handwritten manuscript as well as new transcription.
Book Boat’s In
Cynthia Cotten has written eight books for children and penned this book based on her love of the Erie Canal as it traveled through her hometown of Lockport, NY.
Cold Spring Cemetery
by Linda B. Covell
A full description of Cold Spring Cemetery, a place of peace, history and natural beauty.
Everything Changes DVD
Third in our series, this 1 hour DVD slide show features “Then and Now” scenes from around Niagara County with vintage old photos and their modern equivalent at each location.
Harrison Radiator Main Plant
The History Center is pleased to introduce the first collectible in its new “Harrison Radiator Series,” as it features the iconic Main Plant on Washburn Street. First constructed in 1914, this became the main site for Harrison Radiator for the next 73 years. Founded in 1910 by Herbert C. Harrison, the company became a division of General Motors in 1918. In addition to radiators, the Washburn Street location also manufactured thermostats, vacuum and electrical switches, modulators, and heat exchangers. These operations were moved to the plant on Upper Mountain Road in 1987.
History Center Publishes Book of Lockport Postcards
The History Center of Niagara County has published a book of antique postcards showcasing Lockport at various times throughout the 20th century. The book contains 100 images, most of them in color, beginning with Lockport at the turn-of-the-20th-century right up through urban renewal of the 1970s. The postcards are from the History Center’s own extensive collection. Chapters include the Erie Canal, Street Scenes, Public Buildings and Monuments, Charitable Organizations, Churches and Schools, Old Home Week, Urban Renewal and Miscellaneous.
Honor Thy Fathers & Mothers
by Susanne Dietz
A look at the WWII legacy of patriotism and survival on the Niagara Frontier, 404 pages, soft cover.
Looking Back So That We May Move Ahead
A history of the Erie Canal, written for the 150th Anniversary in 1975 by Alexis Mueller, Jr. Sprial Binding, Reprinted, 109 Pages.
Niagara County Bicentennial Moments Reprised
The fireworks, concerts, parades and events held to celebrate the Bicentennial of Niagara County have come to a close, but the memories of these celebrations still linger. The History Center of Niagara County is pleased to add one final written publication to the list of several others that were accomplished during the Bicentennial year.
For over a year during and before the actual Bicentennial year of 2008, the History Center staff added to the written record of the occasion with over one hundred topical articles on special moments and special people in Niagara County’s history. These “Bicentennial Moments” were published weekly in several regional newspapers. The same articles have now been brought together in book form to serve as a final memento of this important milestone in Niagara County’s history.
The History Center is very thankful for the financial assistance of the Niagara County Bicentennial Committee and the printing prowess of Kax Solutions of Lockport, who worked in tandem to make this publication of “Bicentennial Moments” possible. The purchase price of the book is $11.95 per copy. The books make great gifts and are now available for purchase at the History Center at 215 Niagara Street and the Erie Canal Discovery Center, 24 Church Street in Lockport.
Niagara County: A Bicentennial History
With Niagara County’s bicentennial fast approaching in 2008, the History Center and the Niagara County Municipal Historians have come together to produce, “Niagara County: A Bicentennial History.”
This remarkable new heritage publication was written by a team of authors and contributors including historians from each of the county’s 15 cities, towns and villages, as well as the Niagara County Historian’s office, Tuscarora Nation, Niagara County Sheriff’s Department and The Niagara County Historical Society.
The History Center is spearheading sales of this hard-covered bicentennial history that contains over 200 pages and three hundred high quality photographs that further enhance the story told in the accompanying text. These photographs have been gleaned from both private and public collections, many of which have never been published before. The resulting heirloom publication is a book that will stand the test of time that you can proudly display in your home.
Niagara Discoveries: 2013 – 2015
Articles from the Lockport Union-Sun & Journal, by Ann Marie Linnabery.
Outwater House “Cat’s Meow”
The Niagara Street headquarters of the Niagara County Historical Society.
Pictorial History of the Roman Catholic Churches of Lockport
A complete history of all of the Catholic Churches of Lockport, written in cooperation with Father Dumphrey.
Raphael Beck Print
“The Annual Outing of the Niagara County Anglers’ Club, 1893” The Artist, A. Raphael Beck. More about this painting.
Stairway To Empire
by Patrick McGreevy
A thought-provoking book on the history of Lockport and its role in the Erie Canal story. 309 pages, hard cover.
The Amazing Seven Sutherland Sisters
by Brandon Stickney.
A complete history of the Seven Sutherland Sisters. 200+ pages. The fascinating story of seven sisters who became famous for their long hair and their singing abilities. They went on to create a fortune with “hair tonic” sales. They made millions of dollars at the turn of the century, but spent even more.
The Collective Life of Charles Rand Penney
The official biography of this world renowned collector and philanthropist. 145 pages.
The Life and Times of Birdsall Holly
by: Madelynn “Maggie” Fredrickson
Fredrickson’s book, newly reprinted, is still the definitive work on the inventive genius of Birdsall Holly, Lockport’s “water-man.”