Cat’s Meow Pieces
Harrison Radiator Main Plant
The History Center is pleased to introduce the first collectible in its new “Harrison Radiator Series,” as it features the iconic Main Plant on Washburn Street. First constructed in 1914, this became the main site for Harrison Radiator for the next 73 years. Founded in 1910 by Herbert C. Harrison, the company became a division of General Motors in 1918. In addition to radiators, the Washburn Street location also manufactured thermostats, vacuum and electrical switches, modulators, and heat exchangers. These operations were moved to the plant on Upper Mountain Road in 1987.
The Century Barn at Hall Apple Farm
The Century Barn at Hall Apple Farm was built in 1912 by William Titus Hall, founding father of the popular farm market on Ruhlman Road. Initially, the barn was used to stable horses and store hay and grain. But in 1938, the barn was remodeled and fitted with refrigeration equipment. A portion of the barn became the first controlled atmosphere storage in WNY. Today, the barn houses a cider press and apple storage. In its century year of 2012, this time-tested barn has seen six generations of the Hall family pass through its doors.
The Olcott Beach Hotel
The Olcott Beach Hotel is the latest entry in the “Gone, But Not Forgotten Series.” This local landmark was built in 1900 and catered to patrons who came to Olcott on the International Railway Company’s trolley from Lockport and Buffalo. The hotel boasted 100 rooms, a ballroom and a dining room. Many popular bands of the era played at the hotel. The onset of the Great Depression and the popularity of the automobile spelled the end of the hotel era. The hotel was torn down in 1937.
Harrison Radiator Main Plant, The Century Barn at Hall Apple Farm, The Olcott Beach Hotel
Why not buy all three!
Click for larger view
Click for larger view
Cat’s Meow Tuscarora Club
128 Walnut Street
The Cat’s Meow® Village pieces commemorate historic structures in and around Lockport.
TheCat’s Meow has been building memories with its miniature, wooden, handcrafted buildings and accessories for over 20 years.
“Casper,” the trademark black cat, signifies the authenticity of Village products and can be found on each piece, along with the signature of Faline Fry Jones, creator of The Cat’s Meow® Village.
The Outwater Building, Niagara County Historical Society, Cat’s Meow Collectible.
Our own building takes center stage in this wooden collecitble series. Priced at $18 for gift-giving.
The Lockport High School, located on East Avenue near the Palace Theater, built in 1890-91, was first called the New Union School. By 1919, several additions and alterations were needed that took many years to complete. A library was added to the front of the building in 1935 and a familiar turret was removed. After decades of continuous use, the building was closed in 1955 and students were transferred to the new High School on Locust Street Extension.
Old Christ Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal services in Lockport were conducted in 1828 in a building on Market Street. A chapel was built at the corner of Market and Vine streets in 1832. The first recorded marriage at this location was that of Washington Hunt, later Governor of NYS, to Miss Mary Walbridge. Services continued at this site until 1965 when the new church was dedicated on Fieldcrest Drive.
Grace Episcopal Church
Grace Episcopal Church of Lockport was first built of wood in the 1830s and was located on the site of the present day St. Mary’s Catholic Church. A larger stone church was built in 1854 at Cottage and Genesee streets. The stone tower was capped when the original wooden steeple blew down in a heavy storm in the 1880s. The church burned to the walls in 1975 and was rebuilt by 1977, with a redesigned sanctuary, nave and windows. The congregation is celebrating their 175th Anniversary in 2010.
Christ Episcopal Church
Christ Episcopal Church on Fieldcrest Drive, the older of the two Episcopal parishes in Lockport, celebrated their 175th Anniversary in 2003 and traces its roots to its old Market and Vine Street location in 1828. The new church, modeled after St. Matthew’s in Bloomington, Illinois, was made possible through a generous gift of Mr. and Mrs. George Bewley and was dedicated by Bishop Lauriston Scaife in 1965. A chapel in the lower level contains the stained glass windows of old Christ Church. Adjoining the modern sanctuary is Kenan Fellowship Hall, named in memory of industrialist William Rand Kenan.
All Saints Chapel
All Saints Chapel, built in 1896, located at the corner of Vine and Walnut streets in Lockport, was originally a mission of Grace Episcopal Church. It was built during the tenure of Rev. William F. Faber. The building currently houses an independent congregation for the Covenant Church.
Chapel of the Good Shepherd – Brookside
The Chapel of the Good Shepherd located at Day Road and Slayton Settlement in Lockport is a chapel of Grace Episcopal Church and was built in 1903. A small cemetery is associated with the property. The building is used in the summer and for special occasions.
DeSales Catholic High School Cats Meows
Wyndham Lawn Home for Children Cats Meows
Old Union School Cats Meow
Presbyterian Home Cats Meow
Erie Canal Discovery Center Cats Meow
Old Union School Cats Meows, Presbyterian Home Cats Meow and Erie Canal Discovery Center Cats Meow