Col. William Bond/Jesse Hawley House
The Bond House is a National Register Home built in 1824 by Col. William Bond; it was the first brick home in Lockport. The house was then owned by Erie Canal advocate Jesse Hawley and occupied over the years by various owners.
The home came into the possession of the Chase family in 1887 and remained in that family until 1968. The Chase family were relatives of Salmon P. Chase, Abraham Lincoln’s Secretary of the Treasury and later Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The house is furnished primarily in the 1820′s Empire period. Since this house is completely and fully furnished, special arrangements must be made if your class wishes to tour this home.
The Bond House is open on weekends from June-December featuring two major exhibits.
This year the Bond/Jesse Hawley House will open Sunday, June 28, 1-4 pm, for the 2015 season with the new fashion accessory exhibit “From Head to Toe.” Recognizing Lockport’s 150th anniversary, the exhibit will cover 150 years (1865-2015) of hats, parasols, fans, shawls, gloves, bags/purses, stockings and footwear.
Accessory fashions changed greatly over this 150-year period. What began as functional necessities became fashion accoutrements used to enhance outfits. The exhibit will showcase fashion trends from the sturdy to the stylish, and is co-curated by Becky and Gloria Pittler
After the opening date, the Bond House will be open from 1-4 p.m. every Saturday and Monday through late fall. The house will be closed on Sat. July 4 and Mon. Oct. 12 for holiday observances.
A preview of the exhibit was also open on Sunday, June 21, as part of NY State’s Path Through History weekend. The Bond House, the History Center’s 215 Niagara St. Museum Complex, and Erie Canal Discovery Center are all part of the state’s “Erie Canal Path.”
Docents will be on hand to guide visitors and offer information on the house and exhibit. Bond House docents guide visitors and offer information on the home’s history. The Bond House’s long and busy season requires many docents to welcome and assist our guests. Please join us in telling visitors about the Bond House. Our staff and experienced docents provide all training. If you can help as a docent, please call the History Center at 434-7433.
Donations are welcome!