The Washington Hunt Law Office
Next to 215 Niagara Street ~ Lockport, NY
An original 1835 building moved to the museum grounds in 1955. Formerly located on Market Street in Lockport, the building is restored to a c.1835 law and surveyor’s office. In the front portion of the building, surveying equipment owned by Jesse Haines, an early surveyor in the Lockport area, is on exhibit. He developed the first maps of Lockport and leased and sold land in the area. Above the fireplace in the surveyor’s office is a painting of Belva Ann Bennett McNall Lockwood, the first woman ever to run for the Presidency of the United States. She was born in Gasport (Town of Royalton) and spent most of her life teaching and working for women’s suffrage. She was nominated for the Presidency in 1884 by the Equal Rights’ Party. The back portion of the building is the Washington Hunt Law Office. Washington Hunt came to Lockport in 1828 and opened a law office on Market Street in 1835. He was the first judge of Niagara County, served three terms in Congress and was elected to one term as Governor of New York State in 1850. He returned to Lockport and settled into his home, Wyndham Lawn. The room is furnished as a typical law office of the mid 19th century.