Office Assistant Job Description* – Application is due by March 9, 2021
Overview: Thank you for your interest in the Office Assistant position. The staff of the Niagara County Historical Society achieves its goals through recruitment, training, and direction. We also work cooperatively with other organizations to accomplish our goals. Senior staff works to identify and nourish the unique strengths and interests each person brings with them to their position here.
Summary of Position: Seeking a well-organized, computer savvy, friendly visitor-oriented individual to assist both the executive and assistant director with a diverse set of tasks:
- This is a full time 9-5 position with a daily lunch break (7.5 paid hrs daily), beginning in mid-May – mid August. Includes working alternate Saturdays with a week day off.
- Work would occur at the 215 Niagara Street site primarily, but also the Bond House located at 143 Ontario Street, and the Erie Canal Discovery Center at 24 Church Street.
- The overall supervisor would be Melissa Dunlap, Executive Director, or Ann Marie Linnabery, Assistant Director in Mrs. Dunlap’s absence.
- This job entails good organizational skills, Microsoft Office program knowledge, good customer relations, phone skills, multi-tasking ability, and speaking in front of a group.
- There will be some light housekeeping and assisting with moving light objects (books, artifacts), writing, filing, copying, research and working in the gift shop.
- Part of the job will include learning a script to do interpretation of the Erie Canal Flight of Five Locks for school students, working with others docents. This would have an audience of tourists and school groups.
- Summers are very busy at the History Center and this position will enable the staff to be more responsive to the needs of the visitor. We also have more research requests during this time of the year. We have a fundraiser in August you will assist with.
- The key to working at a non-profit is you do different jobs as needed, so time passes quickly and it is a great environment to learn many skills.